Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 06:25:58 UTC 2008

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> VS> And by the way, in my opinion the discussion should not be only
> VS> about Unicode, but about restricting package names even to a
> VS> subset of ASCII (let's say eg.  a-z, A-Z, 0-9, -, +, _, .).
>
> This is why we need a concrete proposal to vote on.  Things would have
> gone much better if we had one.

+1

One of the problems I have with "ban packages with unicode names" is
that it doesn't consider what to do when a package name upstream is
non-ASCii.  My -1 vote is really a vote against having the Fedora
packager make up a name for an upstream package which I very strongly
oppose.  If a proposal were written that told what the packager needs to
do to get an acceptable package name I'd likely abstain or (possibly) agree.

-Toshio