Suggestion for cvs tag handling

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 10:53:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 14:14 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I don't think I've heard anyone express an interest in being able to
> force a retag after a successful build has gone through. Unfortunately
> we don't have a way to prevent that.

Couldn't we have CVS hooks (just like the ACL ones) that checked in koji
if a package with the particular tag has been built (or is building
right now) that ran before tagging and would make the "cvs tag ..."
command fail if that were the case?

> The reason there is a desire to have koji write a tag is to indicate
> that yes a build succeeded and binaries that correspond to this tagged
> source are available through the fedora buildsystem.

At the moment, we tell koji what's to be built by way of the symbolic
(final) tag in the VCS. In order to change that, we'd probably have to
introduce temporary build tags (in order to tell koji what to build).
After a successful build, koji would tell a separate tagger component
(to avoid giving it wholesale access to the VCS) that such and such
build tag has been built successfully. The tagger would then re-tag the
revision that has the temporary build tag with the final tag (and remove
the build tag).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759