Fedora sound nightmare (Pulseaudio)

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Mar 14 12:34:27 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 13:02 +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
>> On 2008-03-13, 15:02 GMT, Dimi Paun wrote:
>>> Cause: pulseaudio refuses to make use of the built-in (Intel)
>>> sound card. And I can't figure out how to force it!
>>> BTW: I use Gnome, I have ESD checked (that's an obvious label!)
>>> so pulseaudio is enabled.
>> The one thing which makes me really mad is a bug (which again
>> haven't to find, but it was filed) that ConsoleKit (or
>> PulseAudio, or Hal, or whichever *Kit is responsible for it)
>> messes my ACLs so normal user cannot write to the sound device.
>> Usually Ctrl+Alt+F1,Alt+F7 makes sound working, but this was
>> addmitted as a bug by davidz almost three months ago, and since
>> then NOTHING happened on this front.
>
> Not true. The bug has been analyzed, tracked down and fixed in rawhide,
> and I believe F8 updates should be in -testing, at least.

Well, then the person fixing this has failed to mention so in the many bugs
about this, quoting the list from Matej:
bugs 332781, 401951, 432399, 432956, 428032, 401951 for example

So its great that this has been fixed! But communicating this to our end users
so far has not been done properly (bugzilla is one of the proper channels to
communicate with, we ask that of our users, we should do the same). This makes
us look bad, while in reality we are big hero's (as we've fixed it).

Regards,

Hans