PackageKit and default update strategy

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Mar 14 21:44:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 14:47 -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
> Also, I thought it might be a good time to revisit the default update
> strategy.  Right now, gnome-packagekit provides an update icon similar
> to puplet.  The default configuration is to just notify the user that
> updates are available.  Some people have suggested applying security
> updates automatically as the default configuration.  I personally like
> the idea, but I suspect that some people will not like this behavior as
> the default.

Given the number of updates we end up having (even just limited to
security), I suspect that this isn't a great idea from a bandwidth
perspective.  For the users who lack persistent connections (and thus
tend to have lower bandwidth), they'd get online and then immediately
start having their capacity drained by downloading updates.  That's why
we've kept the more conservative default of just downloading the update
information and notifying the user in the past

Jeremy