PackageKit and default update strategy

Richard Hally rhally at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 16 00:49:33 UTC 2008

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 02:47:49PM -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
>> updates automatically as the default configuration.  I personally like
>> the idea, but I suspect that some people will not like this behavior as
>> the default.
>
> It's a good default.

I disagree, imho automatic updates should always be "opt-in".

If the process is considered three phases: notification, download, apply update
the notification should be "on" by default, but the download and apply should be
user selectable between automatic and "manual" with the *default* being manual
for both.
I think we should not impose updates on people without first giving them a
chance to choose how they want their system to behave. Perhaps something in
firstboot to allow them to set their update choices would Do The Right Thing.

Richard