Koji ppc64 builder - amount of RAM?

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Mar 17 21:24:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 15:45 -0400, Lillian Angel wrote:

> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > I'm having difficulty building a package on the Koji ppc64 builder.
> > It appears to run out of memory during the build:
>
> I ran into the same problem on the Koji ppc builder:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=519647&name=build.log

The first thing I would check is that you're not hitting OpenJDK's
arbitrarily-chosen default maximum heap:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/vm/gc-ergonomics.html

Could be that the VM defaults are being chosen in a poor way on ppc64
specifically too.

The default max heap is a huge black spot in an otherwise very well
engineered system.