Java packages, guidelines, ...

Konrad Meyer konrad at tylerc.org
Tue Mar 18 02:23:04 UTC 2008

Quoth Jesse Keating:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 02:08 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > What guideline is this package failing?
> > http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/fedora/joni.spec

This is an old version of the spec, the current URL is
http://konradm.fedorapeople.org/fedora/SPECS/joni.spec .

> Just from looking at it, why do you need both the version and the
> versionless .jar files?  What if you wanted multiple versions of this
> jar installed, how would you handle the symlink?  Why does this not
> build with GCJ?

The version and versionless .jar files are mandated by the Java packaging
guidelines draft. If you installed multiple versions of the rpm, presumably
you're knowledgeable enough to configure the symlink to your liking. As far
as I am concerned GCJ is a slow, obsolete java compiler / environment, and
shouldn't be used anymore. PPC and x86 alike have icedtea/openjdk in rawhide,
which is FOSS and performs much better than GCJ.

What prevents the java packaging guidelines from becoming "real" instead of
just a draft?

--
Konrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/