Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 19 11:52:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 09:01 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 06:05:45PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > 2.	In some cultural contexts transliteration of personal names (if they
> > > end up in package titles) is considered rude.
> > I consider forcing users to learn to type Chinese, Thai, French
> > (arbitrary examples) charsets just to be able to install a package to be
> > utterly rude.
>
> How about English fonts - why are those different ?
We have system console fonts - These happen to be English fonts rsp.
usable for English users.

>  You seem to have a very
> inconsistent attitude.
What is inconsistent about this?

I am talking about users being able to administrate Fedora

>  As for typing that is a complete red herring.
How is that a red herring?

Are you able to type/read/understand any languages on this planet?

>  We have
> gui tools for a reason
GUI tools are only applicable to when a GUI is installed.

I realize, as it already manifests elsewhere with other poorly designed
apps in Fedora, pure console installations, minimal installs, GUI-less
installations are not considered target scenarios for Fedora.

>  and pango is happy doing pointy-clicky things with
> other locales.
Only if I bloat my installation with these useless font packages I am
not able to read nor type in any case.

Ralf