Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 13:48:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 15:03 +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Not agree. I am working in production 24x7 environment, where 10 minutes
> cost too much...

In a production environment if you're only working on one thing at a
time, you've lost.  You can spend the extra 3 minutes a well designed
kickstart system would take to place the x libraries and various
graphical apps on the system during install to answer some mails or
repair another problem all from your desk.  Once the install is done you
can then call up the tools remotely and easily accomplish your task
while even working on other things at the same time.

> >   what I care about is the guy I'm going to have to hire in
> > a few years to maintain the thing will know how it works without playing
> > hours and hours of discovery.
> >

> For me, in our production environment, we do not need any "monkey
> sysadmins". We want to have employees which are capable of "playing
> hours and hours of discovery" when needed. Perhaps it will actually ever
> not be needed, but we prefer that they had such experience.

Prefer yes, able to find reasonably priced people for that maybe someday
need?  Not so easy.  I would prefer to design our infrastructure so that
it's easy to navigate, easy to maintain, logical, and efficient.  Then I
can reduce head count over time and have an easier time finding
replacements when needed.

Why make things harder than they should be?  Just so that you can be
l33t?

--
Jesse Keating