Fedora 9 Beta, PackageKit and system-config-printer

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 14:07:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 04:43:34 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 04:25 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> Things like enabling updates-testing repository to quickly grab a
> >> new package, enabling a repository for a particular session when
> >> it is otherwise disabled
> >
> > That we can do already.
> >
> >> pointing to a local mirror or different source for a
> >> repository
> >
> > Is that a common use case?
>
> In my environment, yes. I have a lan mirror that lags a few days
> behind the master Fedora mirrors at times so If I want to grab a new
> package that is been available very recently, I switch to master
> mirrors. Then I have a custom repository in a portable hard disk I
> switch to on occasions. Since I am playing a lot with fedora spins
> these days I have a need to do this often. Maybe not be a common use
> case in general. Certainly useful for me and I suspect others do a
> lot of similar things judging by the number of questions we get in
> user forums regarding this.
>
> >> switching between base url and mirror list etc are things I
> >> do pretty often.
> >
> > Why do you do this out of interest?
>
> To grab the latest package when it hasn't reached the mirrors. There
> is a delay that can be significant depending on which mirrors you are
> hitting. Some users just stick with the base url but I switch back to
> mirror lists because I don't want to hammer the master.

Cool.  These are certainly valid use cases, but I would argue that they
are not common use cases, and there already exists a workaround, so they
aren't as high priority as some of the other use cases we are working
to fix.  Also, instead of just throwing up UI to edit these fields, we
should step back and think about the problems you are trying to solve
and the best way to solve them.  For instance, if one of the use cases
involves using revisor to make a custom spin, doesn't it make more
sense for the repository selection tool to be in the revisor UI?
(Maybe it already is, I haven't used revisor in a couple of months).

Thanks,

-RN

--
Robin Norwood