FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-03-20

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 21 01:56:21 UTC 2008

Brian Pepple <bpepple <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
> === Packages w/o guidelines ===
>       * FESCo approved a proposal for the Fedora Packaging Committe
>         (FPC) to determine when guidelines are needed for a type of
>         packages (ex. java), and will hold all such packages from
>         entering the package collection until a basic set of guidelines
>         is approved. *Please note that Java guidelines are up for
>         approval at next week's FPC meeting.
>               * For: bpepple, dwmw2, tibbs, nirik, f13, warren, spot,
>                 dgilmore
>               * Against: jeremy
>               * Abstain: notting, jwb

One counterproductive effect I see this decision having is that SIGs involved
with such technologies will avoid even _mentioning_ the word "guidelines", lest
FPC and FESCo will block all their packages until they're ready. So in the long
term, that'll mean _less_ specific guidelines, not more, which I assume is
entirely against the interest of those who voted for this resolution.

The way you encourage new guidelines is to make life easy for those working on
them. Holding all their packages until the guideline is finalized is the exact
opposite.

        Kevin Kofler