Suggestion Next Release

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:40:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Igor Pires Soares <igorsoares at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The Fedora Project Brazil is creating a Brazilian Portuguese LiveCD to
> fit our needs. It includes OpenOffice and Nautilus browser mode by
> default. Maybe you're interested in doing something like this for
> Colombia.

Making a different set of package selections I can understand. But, I have
some concerns about making deliberate changes to default settings like
nautilus's default mode.  We shouldn't  be proliferating a bunch of user
interface customizations.  Why need to be consistent about what the default
settings look like in the Fedora branded spins. If a default setting is the
wrong default.. then our duty is to work with upstream to change it. We
shouldn't be propogating all possible choices for a default just because the
option is there.

There's no compelling reason why any localized spin should be making a
change in nautilus's default behavior which contradicts the setting in the
official Desktop spin. You can do it, but I'm going to have a hard time
supporting it.  If its better for your users in your area, why aren't you
making the case to get the default changed in upstream?

-jef