Suggestion Next Release

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Sat Mar 22 21:24:46 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 21:22 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Fedora doesn't care if this is harder or easier. I proposed here many
> things, which could improve Fedora, but they were rejected.

And they all were rejected with reasons and explanations of why they are
not suitable for Fedora - be it legal issues or deviation from
upstreams, etc. These directly counter the goals of the Fedora Project
as a whole.

Granted, they almost certainly would improve Fedora in the short-term
for many; but they would just as certainly harm us as a whole.

We want to make things easy and simple, yes. In fact, we LOVE doing
this. But doing so in a manner that is legally-dubious (proprietary
drivers or non-Free codecs, etc.) or pushes us _away_ from proper
community involvement (such as significant upstream deviations) is
simply not feasible for us.

> That's the reason I'll switch to openSUSE quickly. Probably after
> release of 11. Big improvement from 10.3. From the start of openSUSE,
> it's getting better than Fedora and leaves the stereotypes in the past.

I've heard good things about OpenSUSE, but from my trials with it in KVM
last year, it's quite a beastly thing at first. To each his own, I
suppose. =)
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479