kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Benjamin Kreuter ben.kreuter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 02:22:02 UTC 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008 22:00:46 Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Thanks for stepping forward with this.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to change the spec file so that the firmware you
> have removed is moved into a sub package and we can retain the same
> kernel? The default setup will install both these packages and If you
> want a spin without the firmware, you just need to exclude the sub
> package (along with any other packages you don't want). The advantage is
> that it doesn't have the overhead of maintaining a additional kernel
> package.

How far along are we on automatic hardware detection?  Is it possible for
anaconda to check a list of hardware that requires these addition drivers,
and only install them as needed (possibly with a message?  That might scare
new users though...)?  It wouldn't take more than a few extra lines of code
in anaconda, since the number of entries in that list would number in the
thousands, if even that much, and a simple linear search would be enough.
This approached may be more amicable with our goal of being a free software
system...

-- Ben

--
Message sent on: Sat Mar 22 22:16:37 EDT 2008