Suggestion Next Release

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 01:07:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Denis Leroy <denis at poolshark.org> wrote:

> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > double-middle-click  will make the parent window close when you open the
> > new folder window.
> > I use double-middle-click religiously.
>
> I take it your mouse doesn't have a scroll-wheel :-)

Some of them do, some of them don't.

Not making use of the middle click for anything because some mouse
manufacturers have decided to overload the function of the mechanical system
related to traditional 2nd mouse button interaction with a addtional scroll
functionality that is too sensitive.. is patently stupid.  The problem you
have is with the design of the mechanical system of the device you have.  If
your mouse can not be operated such that its easy to both click and scroll
with the middle button, then it is a failure of mechanical design of the
device.  The same problem would exist if the boneheaded manufacturers
decided to add a scroll function to the 1st or 3rd mouse buttons.  Its the
same sort of design problem that people have with trackpads with double
tapping for clicking enabled. Overloading a physical apperatus with multiple
functions descrimated by similar physical interactions makes it harder to
consistently use all exposed functions of the device.

-jef"If you can't suck it up and deal with your scroll wheel as a second
mouse button, enable chording of the 1st and 3rd and just forget that your
pos mouse device actually has a physical 2nd button and just chord when you
need to"spaleta