Suggestion Next Release

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 02:50:47 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All I heard up to this point are complicated/unreasonable/unfeasible
>>> solutions for newbies for a problem that we created and it's easy to
>>> fix. Wouldn't it be a lot more reasonable to give people by default what
>>> they are used to, and let power-users flip a switch?
>>>

>> I assure you WE didnt create the 2nd mouse button.. it has existed
>> historically for decades now. WE just make use of it, because its
>> there to
>> be made use of.
>
> Yes, but that has nothing to do with the assumption that navigating with
> the file manager should open new windows as a surprising and
> difficult-to-avoid side effect.  Applications are supposed to have an
> 'open new window' option in the 'File' menu so it isn't hard to get one
> when you want it.  There's no reason to leave a trail of them as an
> accidental side effect of a normal double-click or right-mouse/open.
> It isn't that the oddball action is impossible, it is just wrong.

Wrong?  There is nothing wrong with spatial browsing...

Surprising to you?  Surprising to whom?  A person new to linux who has no
exposure to Windows does not find this behavior surprising, I assure you.  A
window gets opened, you then open another folder... one without any prior
expectations will observe that opening a different folder should open a new
window.  Look at your (physical) desktop, with file folders on it and papers
inside for the reason behind it.

A person new to nautilus spatial browsing but who has experience with linux may
find it surprising, and so will someone who has experience with Windows Explorer
but who has never seen Apple OS.  If this argument is going to be used lets get
to the root of it... is conforming to the 'de facto' standard (folder trees) in
browsing files in the Windows world important?  There is no wrong.