Suggestion Next Release

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 07:57:12 UTC 2008

Henrique Junior wrote:
> Hello, folks.
>
> With this discussion we can see how the thinking of a developer may be
> far from the thinking of an end user. Everything an end user wants is
> to use, simply as that. He assumes the system is working and to use
> should be a simple thing. None of end users wants to read the
> documentation before using (or my mother of 60 years old have to
> Google and read the documentation of Nautilus in order to use it
> without a million of opened windows on the desktop?). This spatial
> mode "that brings the reality of a real desktop" to the virtual
> desktop is absurd, because what it brings is the disorganization of
> the real desktop, full of stuff scattered throughout the screen, which
> is stressful and unproductive.
>
> I don't know why for so long spatial remains the default of GNOME,
> this only shows that the community is not being heard properly. The
> Fedora Project should conduct polls to be more accessible to their end
> users and not just the groups inside the project.

The proper place for this discussion is the gnome community as has been said
above in the thread... because Fedora supports the adoption of upstream default
behaviors.  Have you actually gone looking for the upstream discussion of this
topic?  It will make the reason for the default very clear.

Here are a few places to start.  For anyone to say they don't know why only says
you have not actually looked for the explanation.  I'm sorry, but thats just how
it appears.  This is *NOT NEW* its been discussed more than 4 years in reference
to nautilus.

[1] http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/spatial-nautilus.html
[2] http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/13/175252
[3] http://osnews.com/story/7344