yum & slow internet

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:34:31 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:

>> Yum in Fedora 8 is working slowly getting repodata and solving
>> dependencies. But Paul W. Frields tolds that we will have a better
>> yum... 2x 3x faster and less used memory.
>>
>> Also, Fedora 9 will include package kit, (replacing pirut)...
>> there are no way... I will hope for Fedora 9.
>> Finally a comment: I was looking for a option as "download updates
>> automaticaly and notify to install", somebody told me about a plugin
>> for yum but I never found it. I don´t know if it will go on Fedora 9
>> but is a util option.
>>

> yum install yum-downloadonly
>
> that'll install the module you want.

Personally I think people would be happier if the downloadonly plugin
would be included in a base install and documentation/examples/help
showed it as the typical update method.  That is, do the:
yum --downloadonly update
more or less unattended, repeating as necessary if it doesn't complete
and knowing it won't hurt anything, then babysit the real
yum update
which will happen quickly and may need a reboot and/or some application
testing afterwards.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com