yum & slow internet

Sunil Ghai sunilkrghai at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 16:02:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:44 AM, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 10:01 -0500, Diego Escobar wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Yum in Fedora 8 is working slowly getting repodata and solving
> > dependencies. But Paul W. Frields tolds that we will have a better
> > yum... 2x 3x faster and less used memory.
>
>  Note that yum can't make the network faster[1], although it will do

As Diego Escobar has mentioned, many people around the world have slow
internet connection.  How about having a feature (possibly in kernel itself)
to make updates using _idle_ bandwidth only? By idle I mean which is
currently not being used and is free. This would also keep responsiveness in
other network applications. We can use current traffic control tools like tc
to implement this.

This might take some extra time and in no way making the network faster but
user would be able to keep the system updated in best possible way on slow
internet connection.

--
Regards,
Sunil Ghai