kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Benjamin Kreuter ben.kreuter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 19:50:10 UTC 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 14:32:08 Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 14:24 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > That's an awful user interface. The drivers should *just be there*.
>
> Totally. Typically firmware is 20-30k in size and most of us are sitting
> on multi-gigabyte disks, so I really don't see the problem.
>
> Richard.

In the context of trying to ship a free kernel, but not cripple half our
users' systems, it makes sense.  Why should proprietary drivers for hardware
the user doesn't even have been there?  Perhaps the user will need them in
future, but them, why not just make a package that is clearly labeled and
easy to find?

-- Ben

--
Message sent on: Mon Mar 24 15:48:29 EDT 2008