proposal: add -Werror-implicit-function-declaration to the default optflags

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 22:43:45 UTC 2008

On 24/03/2008, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  This is a new thread spawning from the "3.6% of heads up: Please correct your
>  #includes or optflags use" thread.
>
>  I would like to propose to add "-Werror-implicit-function-declaration" to the
>  default optflags. Why? Because missing prototypes can cause all sorts of problems:
>
>  Anything (any function) that returns a pointer, will be a problem when compiled
>  on 64 bit without a prototype, as the compiler will assume the return type is
>  an int, and then cast that to a pointer as needed.
>
>  Anything returning a float / double will be a problem regardless of 32/64 bits
>  as only 32 bits of the returned floating point number will be taken and
>  interpreted as an int (and then cast back to a float / double if used as such).
>
>  Any function called with arguments of different type then expected (for example
>  a float, where the function expects an int or visa versa) will have the same
>  problem.
>
>  Which is why I say: fix them all.

+1

I was part of that 3.6% and found the fixes trivial. I'm all for code
hardening/improvement and haven't seen anyone able to give a good
reason against adding this in the other thread. This appears to be the
fairly low-hanging fruit we should take advantage of.

Cheers

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com