kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 18:35:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2008, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>  > Once you remove the politics,
>
>  ...that are the core of any mission, such as Fedora's stated mission,
>  and that make all of the difference in this case.

No the core of any mission is some sort of  religion and belief.
Politics is the policy of getting and using power over other beings.

>  > it's essentially the same
>
>  because you've disregarded the only relevant point.
>

>  > as requesting to add a separate glibc that changes the resolving
>  > library.  Or shipping two GNOMEs, one of which changes the default
>  > theme.
>
>  > Those obviously wouldn't be sane things to do.
>
>  Agreed.  There aren't legal or ethical issues involved in these.  And
>  they bear no relationship with Fedora's stated mission.
>

>  > That's why were telling you to work in the upstream
>
>  That won't work.  Upstream doesn't value freedom like we do, they have
>  different goals and will take compromises I won't.  And then I'd be
>  stuck.
>
>  Now, that Fedora wouldn't value freedom so much, to the point of
>  effetively rejecting the mere possibility of enabling people to ship a
>  Fedora spin built exclusively out of Free Software, and instead
>  setting me off into an impossible mission as a pre-condition, that's
>  quite surprising and saddening.

I think everyone is talking past each other and getting all worked up
in a lather. Can I get a guillotine out so we can start selling bread
in the square while heads go flying?

1) I don't think that anyone has said that you can't make a special
spin with this kernel in it. What people have said is "If you want
more support from core people, this is what we would like so we can
help you."

2) I think everyone should take a day off from posting anymore, read
very slowly any posts that got you angry, and ask nice and calmly if
you are understanding each other correctly..

I mean Madame Guillotine is ready, but do we need to go that far?