kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 18:51:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:35:13PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> No the core of any mission is some sort of  religion and belief.

Faith maybe - not religion

> Politics is the policy of getting and using power over other beings.

And religion to quote Dune is what happens when faith meets politics.

> spin with this kernel in it. What people have said is "If you want
> more support from core people, this is what we would like so we can
> help you."

Bingo - the kernel project works by keeping everyone happy. So you fix the
firmware problem by making the embedded people happy (don't waste ram),
the developers happy (stop mucking up my git tree), the vendors happy (we
can ship firmware update packages sanely) the end users happy (better
performance, not noticing the change) and the free software extremists happy
("I don't install proprietary firmware"). You don't make progress by making
them all hate you.