Dreaming about cooperation with upstream [Was: Re: Upstream error reporting]

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 10:19:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 10:32 +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-03-25, 18:21 GMT, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> > Well, we already have some information about several upstream
> > bugzillas (let's keep this simple for the moment and ignore
> > trac, sourceforge e.a.  bug trackers). In theory it should
> > simply be a case of asking "Please <link>create a bugzilla
> > ticket upstream</link>. If you don't have an account at
> > $upstream_bugzilla, <link>register here</link>." Clicking on
> > the first link would drop the user into a pre-filled form that
> > automatically Cc's the Fedora maintainer etc. We could store
> > the identities at other Bugzillas with the user's account to
> > make it even smoother. Or maybe something like OpenID can be
> > used for that.
>
> The advantage of my scenario is that our reporters don't need to
> make yet another useless account in some bugzilla
> (http://uselessaccount.com/). I had a lot of complaints from our
> reporters about that -- "I have reported this already, why you
> guys are so much talking about cooperation, and you are not able
> to resolve it among yourself." I know there are some reasons, but
> considering that bug reporters are our most valuable asset (which
> I believe firmly) we should try most to treat them well.
>
> Remember, we are not making them any favor that they have to file
> a bug against the software we have provided them.
>
> Especially considering that there ARE possible scenarios how to
> do it -- and the rest is (IMHO, IAAL, IANAP, etc.) just not that
> complicated coding.

IMO the reasonable compromise is:
For bugs:
1. the package maintainer should reasonably attempt to reproduce the bug
and/or analyse it whether it is possibly caused by integration changes
which are Fedora specific.
2. a) if he can reproduce or is caused by integration changes - fix it
or report it upstream
   b) if he cannot reproduce it - ask reporter to report it upstream

For enhancement requests:
I'd leave this on package maintainers whether they are interested in the
enhancement enough to help implementing it by reporting upstream and/or
eventually creating a patch and so on.

I don't see any value in package maintainers to be a mediator in a
dialogue between upstream and the bug/enhancement reporter when he as a
mediator wouldn't add anything to the communication. This would be the
case when he cannot reproduce the bug or he isn't interested in the
enhancement.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb