Firefox (still) not printing selection

David Mansfield fedora at dm.cobite.com
Wed Mar 26 17:47:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 14:09 -0300, Henrique "LonelySpooky" Junior wrote:
> The idea that the bug was in the pango patch came to me just yesterday
> by a single elimination (not related to the rudiments of programming
> that I know). No other distribution presents the bug, only the Red Hat
> like, so the problem is in our RPM and not in the source code provided
> by Mozilla. The elimination of pango was an blind attempt, as it was the
> only patch related to printing, but after that the bug disappeared.
> This bug came from Firefox 1.5.0.7 and reaches Fedora 9 beta without
> being corrected and it seems clear in the course of conversation in
> Bugzilla that if the bug isn't corrected yet we're getting the risk of
> not being corrected in time to the final release.
> What about the bug? Even if it is not pango's fault, the fact is that
> the bug is there for years.

First off.  Sounds like you've gotten further than anyone else, you
should definitely post your findings in the bug.

Secondly, I'm a newbie to the Fedora process myself, so I don't know
exactly how this is supposed to go, but it is fairly easy to find the
maintainer info from admin.fedoraproject.org,  specifically:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/firefox

>From there, probably you need to send mail to this list and the
maintainers listed there asking if anyone knows who was responsible for
that patch in particular (assuming there is no authorship information in
the patch itself).  Hopefully this will lead to a productive
conversation, and possibly a resolution.

It's unfortunately a part of the open source world that certain bugs
just sit around, even ones with a bunch of users waiting for a fix.

On the other hand, fortunately, if a person with a little motivation
(i.e YOU) comes along, you can drive the thing to completion yourself,
assuming the developers/maintainers aren't acting like children.

Good luck,
David

P.S try to avoid top-posting, it's frowned upon in these and most
mailing lists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting