few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 26 18:04:11 UTC 2008

Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> said:
> (Actually
> I fail to see what horribly necessary commands are causing this to be a
> big issue, but that's beside the point.)

I usually add /usr/sbin:/sbin to my PATH for the following commands I
sometimes/often use as a regular user (I can't change things but I can
view current conditions/settings) by what package they come from:

chkconfig:
   /sbin/chkconfig

freeipmi:
   /usr/sbin/ipmiconsole
   /usr/sbin/ipmipower

hardlink:
   /usr/sbin/hardlink

iproute:
   /sbin/ip

module-init-tools:
   /sbin/lsmod
   /sbin/modinfo

net-tools:
   /sbin/arp
   /sbin/ifconfig
   /sbin/route

ntp:
   /usr/sbin/ntpq

pciutils:
   /sbin/lspci

usbutils:
   /sbin/lsusb

wireless-tools:
   /sbin/iwconfig
   /sbin/iwlist

That's just my personal list, based on a quick look through /sbin and
/usr/sbin (I expect there are other commands that other people use as
non-root as well).  Some of these commands should probably never have
been in sbin to begin with (ipmiconsole/power, ntpq, etc.).

The sbin directories have been cleaned up some over time (traceroute and
ping for example); maybe it is time for another pass (obviously not now
but maybe for F10).

Some of these might be tricky to change because they may be referenced
with a full path in scripts/programs.  For some reason, a bunch of
system stuff (rc.sysint, other init scripts, sysconfig/network-scripts)
seems to use a full path for everything.  This isn't really needed,
since virtually all of that sources /etc/init.d/functions first, which
sets a good PATH.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>