few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 18:43:11 UTC 2008

> Will Woods (wwoods at redhat.com) said:
> > I actually created a Feature page after a discussion about this on
> > #fedora-devel earlier this week:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SbinSanity
> >
> > I think it summarizes the problem and (one) proposed solution fairly
> > well. Feel free to expand/edit it..
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Just fix $PATH. It is much much simpler.

It's definitely simpler. And it's been the default in other distros
(e.g. Slackware, Gentoo, Ubuntu) going back at least a decade. It's also
the default in Mac OS X.

But it's not the default in Fedora, and I can't figure out why.

I wrote up the SbinSanity feature assuming that we had intentionally
changed *away* from having /sbin in the path fairly recently - like
during the Fedora Core days - and so someone must have had a damn good
reason to make that change. I assumed there was weeks of discussion
sitting in mailing list archives somewhere explaining the exact reasons
for the choice and making a very convincing argument for keeping them
separate.

Now that I do some research I see that /sbin has not been in the normal
PATH as far back as RHL9 and probably going back to RHL6 or earlier. I
think it's just Always Been Like That. So there's no discussion and no
convincing argument.

Therefore: I'm with notting. Let's add /sbin:/usr/sbin to the path for
normal users.

-w