few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 26 23:00:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 16:32 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> Nah.. why take the simple way. In fact.. why have /bin and /usr/bin..
> no one who counts really uses them as seperate things? We should just
> have everything in one or the other. I mean put everything in /bin
> that is executable. Create a /share and we don't really need /usr
> anymore either.

I'll be the first to bite, then:

I really don't care/like/give-a-crap about /sbin or /bin - it's a vague
and silly distinction.

as a user I want commands to be in my path. I don't give a flying fig
where they live.

As far as /usr is concerned that's a giant 'shrug'. We need a place to
shove a bunch of stuff /usr is just as good as anything else.

I grok the nfs-mount /usr routine for the distinction b/t things in /
and things /usr. That's fine. But nothing about the [/usr]/sbin and
[/usr]/bin distinction makes any sense anymore. Permissions and acls go
to the file layer. We can work just fine w/o them.

the need for it is kaput.

-sv