Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 04:36:11 UTC 2008

Pavel Khardikov wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis writes:

>>> Thanks for your reply.
>>> It is a great pity :(
>>>
>>> If I understood there is no reason to start doing Package WebUI from
>>> the very begining because
>>> MyFedora project is aimed at solving the same problems.
>>>

>> I'm can not properly answer this question. J5 (the MyFedora develop)
>> likely can do that better.
>>
>> >From what I can see on
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MyFedora
>> it seems to me that developers are the main target audience of MyFedora.
>> Only the second screenshot indicates that MyFedora might provide
>> something like packages.debian.org (which also provides a good service
>> for users)
>>

>>> In what way the idea of Package WebUI can be relate to GSoC?
>>>
>>> As far as I can see the idea of WebInstall is similar?
>>> Is WebInstall project still relevant to GSoC or MyFedora will cope
>>> with its functions?
>>>

>> I'd suggest you contact J5, the developer of MyFedora. Maybe he can help
>> to answer the question if a separate WebUI makes sense (which I doubt).
>>
>> Cu
>> knurd
>>

> Ok.
>
> Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I didn't this thread earlier,  Pavel, how interested in this are
you?  How self-motivated?  I could see doing something like this as a
GSoC project but hadn't really thought about it before.  We should have
a talk between you, J5 (John Palmieri -- myfedora), skvidal (Seth Vidal
-- repoview/yum metadata), and I (abadger1999 -- pkgdb) about what would
be a useful and good chunk of code for a GSoC project.

I can be found on IRC as abadger1999, in irc.freenode.net #fedora-admin,
#fedora-devel.  Like I said, I haven't thought about doing this until
now so we'd need to get busy on this if you're interested.

-Toshio