Some things to focus testing on for F9Beta

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 10:57:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 18:21 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> [cross-posted from fedora-test-list - any devs who have suggestions for
> other things that need attention, *please* speak up.]
>
> Fedora 9 will have a lot of new and exciting things. Naturally, we want
> those things to be stable and well-polished for the final release.
>
> With that in mind, here's a list of things that deserve especially close
> attention.
>
> 1) PackageKit
> This *replaces* pup and pirut, by default, on all new installs. If
> you're following rawhide, *please* disable or remove pup and pirut and
> test this. It's very important that you file bugs about *any* problems
> with PackageKit.
>
> Use the "gnome-packagekit" component in bugzilla for bugs about
> confusing (or missing) UI pieces, and "PackageKit" for bugs about
> backend errors, missing capabilities, or other (non-UI) problems.
>

> 2) NetworkManager
> At long last, NetworkManager is installed and enabled by default for all
> new installs. It is *supposed* to play nice with the system
> configuration set up by Anaconda and the old system-config-network tool.

As a note, please install svn3476 or later, which has been built in
Rawhide for a while.  This version looks for ifcfg files
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, where most users expect them.

Previous versions looked at the network profile name, then grabbed
config from /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/<profile>/, which most
command-line-type users don't expect, since they'll just edit stuff in
network-scripts anyway.

The nm-system-settings service is what reads & watches your ifcfg files.
It has inotify support to detect modifications, deletions, and additions
of ifcfg files, and should forward those settings to NetworkManager.
The next time the connection is activated, those settings will be used
by NetworkManager.  The system settings service also monitors KEYS-xxxx
files for those of you with WEP connections.

Caveats and more details:

1) There's no support for system-wide WPA, wired 802.1x, or VPN
connections yet, since our ifcfg scripts don't yet support these

2) The name of the connection shown in the gnome applet is the name of
the ifcfg file without the ifcfg-

3) You can't edit the system connections yet through the connection
editor

4) No support yet for > 1 static IP address on single interface

Dan