inittab vs. /etc/sysconfig/init for runlevel 3/5

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 12:56:40 UTC 2008

With the switch to upstart, we obviated the need for /etc/inittab (upstart
does not need it, nor read it.)

Initially, we added a quick hack that read /etc/inittab solely to determine
the default runlevel. Based on a bug I filed (#432384), we changed that so
that the key for runlevel 3 vs. runlevel 5 is GRAPHICAL in /etc/sysconfig/init,
and we'e planning to just remove the inittab file to make things more obvious.

I'm open to better ideas, though - should we ship a trimmed inittab that
contains *only* the initdefault line? Should we introduce a new configuration
flag somewhere else? Does it really matter in the long run?

Bill