Suggestion Next Release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:01:38 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 08:51 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> But, but, but... You've already got a perfectly fine multitasking,
>> multiwindowing system where you can open as many instances of something
>> as you want.  If you want several file manager window open, just open
>> them and park them where you want separately.  Why do applications need
>> to have anything to do with this on their own?
>
> It's still a multiwindowing multitasking system, it's just showing me a
> more convenient view of things.

But you can arrange the same view even more conveniently yourself by
explicitly opening the few locations you want and positioning the
windows where you want them instead of having to do oddball commands to
not get all the intermediate windows you don't want if they stay around
by default.

> Add to that remembering where those
> windows go means I can work even more efficiently on commonly used
> directory sets since everything will be where my muscles remember them.

I rarely do repetitious work in GUI's since it is so much easier to
script it or recall/re-execute command lines.  But what I do want is
consistency in the way apps act regarding opening new windows instead of
having to remember different actions depending on which app the mouse
happens to be positioned over. And it doesn't make any more sense to me
for a file browser to default to open a new window on every click than
it would for a web browser. What I'd like in both, and for everything
else where it would make sense, is to have a right-mouse menu with 'open
in new window' as an alternative to 'open'.  I'd like the choice, but in
my experience I'll want to use it much less often than using the current
window.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com