few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:46:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Alan Cox <alan at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 02:21:13PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>  > OK, when tiny disk drives cost $10,000 and had to come from the same
>  > vendor as the CPU, and you couldn't boot from anything else there was a
>  > reason to have /bin and maybe /sbin separate.  But that was in some
>  > other century.

>  Historically bin was on the fast fixed head disk and usr/bin on the moving
>  head disk.

By the time I got to Unix on a Vax750.. /bin was on our first 40 MB
washing machine, /usr was on our second 40MB washing machine, and
/usr/local was on our third one... and you hoped that nobody set up
reads and writes to get them to pull apart.

>  sbin is a SunOS era invention that exists essentially because they didn't
>  have a nice mechanism to boot a box and recover it if you broke the shared
>  libraries (and they were quite fragile)

Putting /usr on a seperate partition in 4.0 kills kittens... [and I
think the same with 3]