Directory structures in the future and other things I want.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:49:27 UTC 2008

Martin Sourada wrote:
> From all the system dirs I use I would not tell only
> what's in /etc by looking at the name, the rest is named pretty well
> (though I don't completely understand what binaries go directly to /bin
> rather than /usr/bin...)

In a different lifetime, the assumptions were that /bin was small and
that /usr wouldn't be mounted until fairly late in the start-up process,
so /bin had to contain the minimal set of tools to get through booting
and mounting up the other drives (which might be network mounted) and
recover from any problems.

> -10. In /sbin and /usr/sbin aren't binaries supposed to be run by
> average user and some of them even does not work with insufficient
> privileges. If you insist on using them you should be proficient enough
> to be able to add it to your path yourself.

In the vast majority of cases today, this 'average user' is the same
person who did the install and will su to root whenever necessary.  So
he's just going to be confused when commands sometimes aren't found.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com