Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

Izhar Firdaus kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 08:48:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Pavel Khardikov <sonic at inetwork.ru> wrote:
>  Hi!
>
>  Thanks for your reply.
>  It is a great pity :(
>
>  If I understood there is no reason to start doing Package WebUI from the
>  very begining because
>  MyFedora project is aimed at solving the same problems.

IMO, PkgDB is much better choice to be used as the base of package
webui, as its already integrates with Koji, and Bodhi. Revamp the UI,
add features like comments, pybugzilla, etc. Then, provide an
interface for communicating with MyFedora (json or something).

>  In what way the idea of Package WebUI can be relate to GSoC?
>
>  As far as I can see the idea of WebInstall is similar?
>  Is WebInstall project still relevant to GSoC or MyFedora will cope with
>  its functions?

WebInstall will require client side adjustments such as a handler for
url webinstall://path/to/package/metadata.xml or maybe extension based
handler for a metadata file named, for example, mysoftware.webinstall.
The client tool then will call packagekit or other necessary thing to
get the software installed. (Hey , anybody applied for this Idea yet?
:P )

MyFedora/PackageWebUI will be a good place to place the links to the metadata.

Webinstall is a different sofware, but if PackageWebUI willing to
provide metadatas, they both can work together greatly as one way for
users to find Fedora softwares.

========================
Just adding a bit details about my idea for PkgWebUI:

I am interested of a place where users can easily find details about a
software in Fedora repository, access bug reports related to the
packages, and communicate with other users of the software. The detail
section be somewhat like Fedora Daily Package's informations, and the
rest similar to Wine's AppDB. I would love if WebInstall URLS are
integrated together with PackageWebUI to allow users to install
packages by clicking a link at the site.

I am familiar with Plone, Django, a bit of TurboGears, and the usual
web development stack (HTML/CSS/PHP and stuff). A python addict
myself, and would love to develop something pythonic although my
skills are more in the sysadmin side. As a Fedora ambassador, I see
the PackageWebUI can be a good place to encourage user involvement to
the community (though the comment section will require some idea to
make it not over-loading after a lot of people commented - 1 thread
comment section sounds scary for long term).

a little unrelated to this thread (but related to GSOC), I am familar
with Debarashi's implementation of Opyum, (used the procedures
manually through shell commands [tar,cp,system-cdinstall-helper,etc],
not comfortable with opyum's GUI) .. and would also like it to be in
PackageKit .. however, C turns me off ..