F8/9 6-16x slower than XP to boot

Lubomir Kundrak lkundrak at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 12:48:32 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 01:24 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:

>   * Even when comparing Fedora on real hardware vs XP on VM,
>     it took longer to just start Firefox in Linux vs. the entire
>     boot + starting of Firefox in Windows!

Not to devaluate your tests -- please bear in mind that we offer more
features and are much more secure than XP. I am wondering what the
results would be if you kickstarted fedora just with icewm and firefox
and compared that one.

NB: I bet my XT with 640K RAM boots Minix faster than my workstation
would boot XP. It's all about features again.