disk devices in F9 interchanged

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 28 13:49:02 UTC 2008

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:08:41PM -0400, Will Woods wrote:

>>> Should drive detection change from alpha to beta? Does it really make
>>> any differnce?
>> Yes, drive detection may change between alpha and beta. It could change
>> depending on the phase of the moon.
>>
>> Device names are dynamically assigned and may change without warning or
>> reason. DO NOT RELY ON THEM STAYING THE SAME BECAUSE THEY WON'T.

We do kickstart installs where we have something like:
part / --onpart sda1 --fstype ext3 --size 1 --grow
in the kickstart file.

How can we ensure that we are installing to the drive we expect?

>> This is why we use filesystem labels, UUIDs, etc.

I'd be happy if we could install to a partition with a known label but I
dont think that's an option in kickstart.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Roderick Johnstone