few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

David Mansfield fedora at dm.cobite.com
Fri Mar 28 18:22:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 09:20 -0700, Timothy Selivanow wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:06 -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:
> > This is because /sbin was for 'static' binaries (static-bin).
>
> That's not what the FHS states
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard>.  /bin is
> for "Essential command binaries that need to be available in single user
> mode; for all users (e.g., cat, ls, cp).", and /sbin is for "Essential
> system binaries (e.g., init, route, ifup).", and similarly for /bin
> and /sbin that resides in /usr, but with the added "Non-essential" bit.
> The key, IMO, is that the ${prefix}/bin is meant for all users, where
> ${prefix}/sbin is not (restricted access).
>       .( o ).

Does anyone else find the idea of a 'normal' user (i.e not sysadmin)
running single user mode without /usr mounted as an amusing concept?

I suppose there are some systems that run only in single user mode, but
whether any non-root users have ever logged in there would be suprising.
Even during the boot process before going multi-user, we are running as
UID 0, AFAIK.

David