F8/9 6-16x slower than XP to boot

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 09:56:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-29 at 10:44 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> 2008/3/29 Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>:
> >
> >  Yeah, I agree, but after going trough the article I cannot pass by in
> >  silence the fact that while in Fedora 5 the disk maximum throughput was
> >  29 MB/s in Rawhide it's only 8 MB/s which is nearly 4x less...
>
> I am not sure rawhide kernels can be compared with official release
> ones, as they usually carry debugging stuff which may ( or may not ;)
> ) justify that difference.

Well, it probably does, but for F8 final it's 12MB/s which is still
about 2.5x less than in F5...

> I also have to note they do not state what "spin" they used for the
> Ubuntu counterpart; if it was the liveCD, we are comparing apples and
> oranges

They're comparing Fedora with Fedora. Ubuntu runs different (and less)
services and cannot be effectively compared to Fedora. In fact, if you
trim the services a bit you can gain similar boot times in F8 that are
in Ubuntu (bellow 30s), so I'd rather not compare the results for Fedora
with results for Ubuntu...

Martin