Too many default services on

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Mar 31 13:00:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 01:35:46PM +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

> Quite frankly I'd say even in the case of services that usually are
> expected to be started as default (e.g. httpd) I think I could live with
> having to manually activate it.

httpd requires to be setup before started. But even in the case of more
straigthforward network services, they should never be started, since
one may only want to install them and start them only after some actions
(start a specific interface, start vpns, modify routing and firewalling
or whatever).

> I see two exceptions: sshd and "local" services like e.g. dbus, beagle,
> etc. that don't listen on external IPs and that you cannot really expect
> the user to activate manually.

Indeed. There are a lot of such services in the list, so it is not easy
to know which ones are right and which ones are wrong.

For sshd, it is debatable to have it started automatically, since it is
a network facing service, but I think that it is a reasonable exception
given that in many case it can be the only way to login to the
computer after installation.

--
Pat