F9 parallel vs. serial bootscript

Optimization Kit optimizationkit at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:42:03 UTC 2008

On 31/03/2008, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:

>  On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 13:17 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>  > Optimization Kit (optimizationkit at gmail.com) said:
>  > > > As this won't handle multiple dependencies cleanly, it's somewhat
>  > > >  problematic.
>  > >
>  > > I'm using something like this:
>  > >
>  > > messagebus depends on rsyslog
>  > > haldaemon depends on messagebus
>  > > NetworkManager depends on haldaemon
>  > >
>  > > deps for NetworkManager are resolved.
>  >
>  > For things with a linear set, yes. But not everything is so fortunate.
>

> Yeah, think what happen if you rsyslog is configured to send logs over
>  the network ...

So the only way to solve it is "start on started network" in rsyslog... hmmm...

rsyslog depends on network
messagebus depends on rsyslog
haldaemon depends on messagebus
NetworkManager depends on haldaemon - provides network

closed chain

Something like a Fedora boot dependency graph would be useful :)

I have found this on Ubuntu upstart page
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReplacementInitscripts?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Graph.png
might be useful

Regards,
Michal