RFC: Page size on PPC/PPC64 builders

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 17:29:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 17:05 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> And as it stands, those new architectures
> don't really gain much at all over what they could have achieved as
> standalone efforts.

They gain the Fedora infrastructure and the Fedora community. I think
those are huge gains.

You essentially want to force all architectures to be primaries, and if
any arch fails a build, to fail them all. The only way to do this is to
have all builds held until they all complete, slowing the build process
to the slowest arch. It also increases the burden on the Fedora
packager, increasingly the likelyhood of a kneejerk ExcludeArch for
architectures they are unfamiliar with.

I don't agree with that approach, and this is where we differ. I would
rather enable teams of motivated developers to drive support for
additional architectures without slowing our primary architecture
platform efforts, and this is what the Fedora Architectures plan does
(and is what was ratified and approved).

~spot