[RFE] Gnome/KDE --> Checkfs/Format --> Encrypt --> External HD USB stick etc..

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:10:37 UTC 2008

� wrote:
> Is there really any need for the user to have root access to the
> computer he's or
> to contact his system administrator ( in case he has one to begin with )
> to format the floppy he wants to save his OO document on ????
> And when the user has not put his floppy disk properly in the floppy drive
> is faced with "Unable to mount media <clicks> detail  -->
> and gets mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
> Instead of userfriendly msg like the cd/dvd rom outputs "There's
> probably no media in drive"
> which by the way is true in this case...

Mounting and creating filesystems is something that PolicyKit should allow to be
configured, see System->Preferences->System->Authorizations.  This is really a
matter of default polkit policy being written to make it happen (and/or to
prevent it).  I think in some cases it would be valuable to prevent a user from
formatting any disks (think internet kiosk or security sensitive data on a
workstation).