spec file changes: removing Release: and %changelog

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed Mar 5 18:23:07 UTC 2008

Oh, no...

> I've spent a little bit of time on the shuttle to/from work hacking on
> Makefile.common.  The general idea is to remove the Release: and %
> changelog fields from spec files,

And then I have to maintain two versions of the spec file -- one for
Fedora build system, other for: another distros, another Fedora-related
distros, local builds etc...

> * Allow for automated (re-)builds without hackish scripts

Is that "hackish" my problem? ;)

> * Avoid developer time being spent incrementing integers in spec file

Interesting... Perhaps you will propose the automated "Version:"
determined by the tarball? Or even tarball's URL?

> * Obviate the need to keep two changelogs in sync

Actually, I never fill the cvs changelog. Only the spec's changelog.
Probably I'm wrong, but nobody claim me for it for a while.
> edit foo.spec
> make clog
> cvs commit -F clog
> make tag build
> # discover error
> edit foo.spec
> make force-tag build

BTW, maybe the better way is to determine the changes in the %changelog
section (cvs diff etc.), and then create a particular cvs log by that
chagnes?
>  In the new
> system, you only need to know two commands: "make local" to do a local
> build,

For this, I will prefer to hack with "rpmbuild" at a separate place and
to control what is happening immediately.

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy