spec file changes: removing Release: and %changelog

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 18:34:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
>  The overall idea is that the release number is determined by the "build
>  server", where "build server" can be either localhost (for make local),
>  or Koji (for Fedora).  So for local builds, you don't hit Koji to
>  determine a release - we just create one, and then increment it from
>  there.
>
>  We don't want to distribute locally-built RPMs as if they came from
>  Fedora, so giving them a .local disttag with a locally-determined
>  release is a good thing, I think.

I think you have to abstract this a little and rely on a increment
counter macro in the release field to give maintainers the option of
using(or not) and potentially overriding.  That way maintainers can
encode the integer counter into the Release field in a way that makes
sense to keep the update path working...even for wacky 'edge' cases
like the kernel.

-jef