system-config-network & Zeroconf

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 20:43:49 UTC 2008

> 2008/3/5 Benjamin Kreuter <ben.kreuter at gmail.com>:
> >  I thought it was already deprecated?  Doesn't NetworkManager replace
> >  system-config-network?
>
> something like s-c-network will most likely continue to exist for
> setting 'static' settings in a way that NM will understand how to make
> use of. But however 'static' settings end up being incorporated and
> configured.. I really don't see how something as 'dynamic' as zeroconf
> needs to be understood outside of NM.

Well, eventually the connection editor could potentially replace the GUI
functionality of s-c-n and ifup/ifdown could be pointed at NM, but we're
not there yet.  There's a few more device types that NM would need to
support (mainly PPPoE/PPPoATM connections, good ISDN, etc) before we
could think about replacing anything.  They are going to be parallel but
mutually exclusive for the time being.  Also there will be some people
who won't ever want to use NM for some setups even though NM could work
for them; but that's fine.

Dan