Suggestion for cvs tag handling

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 10:28:20 UTC 2008

On 06/03/2008, Jarod Wilson <jwilson at redhat.com> wrote:

> I dislike the idea of immutable tags before a successful build completes. More
>  than once, I've simply forgot to cvs add a patch before submitting a build,
>  and bumping the spec and using a new tag simply to add a patch that is
>  already referenced in the spec is obnoxious. I greatly prefer to just cvs add
>  the patch, force-tag and resubmit the build as it was supposed to be.

How about a "temporary" tag that's got some kind of serial or
timestamp in it, and after a successful build a "permanent" tag is
attached to the exact same place, and the temp one removed (possibly
later)?

That way you still have a tag, and it's immutable, but you can try
several times before adding the intended permanent tag. Like having
"release candidate" tags on releases.