system-config-network & Zeroconf

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Mar 8 06:36:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 18:06 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> The problem is that some people want DHCP on their WLAN adhoc
> networks... I still need to figure out how the Apple connection sharing
> works; they use IPv4 LL addresses in the created Ad-Hoc network but I
> don't know how other machines get the default route to the one sharing
> its connection.  Possibly the router announces itself with Avahi or
> something.

The connection sharing box provides DHCP.

> There does need to be more thought here; but I'm leaning towards
> defaulting connections created when the user explicitly shares an
> existing connection (ie, you pick "Share this mobile broadband card over
> wireless") to zeroconf.  In the end there will still be booleans in the
> config to mark DHCP yes/no and zeroconf yes/no.  I'm wondering if the
> zeroconf option should be mutually exclusive with any of the others; ie
> would you ever want to have a secondary IPv4 LL address at the same time
> as you have a non-LL address.

Has ANYONE here actually read rfc3927? Link local means just that, link
local. Read the second paragraph of the abstract, and section 2.7 and
2.8, titled "Link-Local Packets Are Not Forwarded" and "Link-Local
Packets are Local".

Therefore, any device providing routing of any kind, MUST use something
else, namely DHCP.

This shit should Just Work, the only UI there should be is a checkbox to
disable "auto configuration" and set fixed settings.