Last minute Nautilus change for Fedora 9

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 22:05:31 UTC 2008

Mark wrote:
>>  Default upstream is what is default now (96).
>
> Additional info.
> When i suggested the thumbnail patch here on fedora (before it was in
> nautilus) i was also asked to post it on gnome's bugzilla so that it
> would be upstream. (i believe it was jou asking (Jesse)) and i got
> that done. I hope your not gonna ask me to get this minor setting (not
> a bug! a setting!) upstream.
>
> I believe the gnome people said that keeping the thumbnails size at 96
> is better so you see more details of the image. I disagree with that
> unless the icon size gets moved up to 96 as well (which i don't hope).
> If you want bigger thumbnails that another view is needed. Icon view
> doesn't suit the big thumbnails.

My 2c is that OSX has this right, and gnome has it wrong.  The thumbnail size
should be the same as other files icons... however there should ALSO be an
alternative, easy and fast, method of viewing a slightly larger thumbnail.  The
nautilus UI simply lacks this capability at the moment.  I am specifically
talking about the panelized Finder where the last item you select is shown in
the rightmost panel with additional info and a larger thumbnail (which you can
even page left/right).  However, on the desktop or in icon views of the Finder
you see only the icon sized thumbnails.

A 96x96 thumbnail is big and obtrusive when you want to see alot of files in an
icon view.  A 96x96 thumbnail is too small to clearly see an image anyway... its
therefore both too big and too small and neither choice is really adequate.

It would be really beneficial to get a 'fast image viewer' like fah or giv
integrated into gnome by default to serve that purpose.