Last minute Nautilus change for Fedora 9

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 21:57:45 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 17:52 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> I wonder how difficult it would be to get a patch accepted upstream for adding a
>> second pulldown in the Preferences->Views pane which had Icon View, default icon
>> zoom level, and default thumbnail zoom level.  The 'default' that option started
>> at would be a minor issue, but exposing that as configurable more easily might
>> be reasonable.
>
> Less preferences, more direct manipulation. Ctrl-scrollwheel seems to be
> becoming a defacto standard UI for zooming of various sorts. The user
> should be able to just directly "zoom" a window, and then it should
> stick. End preference segregation. Put preferences right where they
> matter, such as in the context menu of the object it pertains to, don't
> mash them all together in a preference dialog.

I agree that ctrl-scrollwheel is a much more effective, and user intuitive zoom
interaction... but you *obviously* must deal with the different icon/file sizes
versus image thumbnail sizes in a different way, or you'll need
shift-ctrl-scrollwheel... and then you cannot use that one for something else.
Adding a widget to the preferences dialog to expose a minor preference is not
the same thing.  You could still zoom your icon view in any way gnome wants to
move forward with making 'standard', but whether the sizes match is a different
issue.

There are only a limited number of finger contortions that users are capable of
1) doing with their hands, 2) replicating in other means for accessibility
support, 3) remembering.  The UI is very complicated when applications start
taking on these advanced UI interactions without moving them to the control of
the system itself.  Think for a minute how strange it is to have each window
manager with differing window move/resize mousebutton shortcuts by default.

Having nautilus get patched to just zoom in a way that seems best is not the way
forward for UIs.

> Its time for a major paradigm shift in GUI, based on zooming in and out,
> driven by ever higher LCD resolutions and the ubiquitous availability of
> scaling hardware. It's time to break free of the idioms developed for
> the machines of 1994 and begin designing a new generation of software...

Yes, but a paradigm shift is done in large scale *otherwise it fails*, not one
application at a time.  Many people have taken up the torch of changing how
people interact with computers but most are failing to have major impact with
minor changes.  Things like multi-touch screens are a major breakthrough...
handling keycombo zooms to nautilus without doing so from the larger GTK level
itself is not.